What is a Hero Organisation?
Play on Pedals provides the opportunity for preschool children across Glasgow to learn to ride a bike before starting school. Hero Organisations across the city act as local hubs to champion the project.
Over the duration of the People’s Postcode Lottery funded project, Play on Pedals awarded 35 grants to groups across the city, including extended Super Hero Organisations and Early Years Hero Organisations who are recognised for providing exceptional support for Play on Pedals.
These groups were offered the following opportunities and resources to help deliver Play on Pedals:
- Set of balance and pedal bikes for use within the local community
- Half day training to become Play on Pedals Bike Mechanics
- Full day training, working with children, to become Play on Pedals Instructors
- Full day training, with experienced tutors, to become Play on Pedals Instructor Trainers
- Cycling UK Cycle Activity Provider insurance for a trained member of the organisation
- Small grants of £500 or £1,250 to support Play on Pedals delivery
- Advice on engaging members of your local community to become Play on Pedals volunteers
- Opportunity to take part in Play on Pedals community events.
To become a Hero Organisation, groups were asked to demonstrate their capacity in the following areas:
- Local contacts with nurseries, mother toddler groups, faith groups and other early years establishments
- Capacity to provide storage, coordination and/or maintenance of bike fleet within cluster group
- Access to cycle training space for Play on Pedals Instructor training programme
- Interest in cycling development within the local community.
Hero Organisations continue to deliver Play on Pedals activities in their local areas; a list of their contacts can be found on the ‘Check Out Our Hero Organisations‘ page.