Play Together on Pedals offers two different training opportunities:
1. Play on Pedals Instructor training
The Play on Pedals Instructor training course is a full day course aimed at early years practitioners or adults with experience with preschoolers. Play on Pedals Instructors are expected to take their learning back to a group of preschoolers and train them to ride bikes.
The course has been developed as a resource that links into the national Bikeability Scotland training programme, delivered and certified by Cycling Scotland.
The Play on Pedals Instructor course covers:
- Getting to know your bike – naming the parts
- How to carry out a basic bike safety check
- Fitting helmets and adjusting seats
- Carrying out a risk assessment
- Learning Play on Pedals games (practical session on adult bikes)
- Planning the delivery of a session
- Delivering a session (practical session with group of nursery children)
- Opportunity for evaluation, feedback and next steps.
2. Play on Pedals Instructor Trainer training
The Play on Pedals Instructor Trainer course is available for Play on Pedals Instructors who have successfully delivered a full 8 week programme to preschoolers and have had a session observed by an existing Play on Pedals Instructor Trainer.
The course will enable those awarded as Instructor Trainers to deliver the Instructor training day to other adults. It will cover:
- Reflection upon experience as a candidate Instructor
- Successful delivery methods for training adults
- Opportunities for practical delivery of training to Instructors
- How to encourage positive feedback and individual development
- Understanding local resources and logistical coordination of training days.
Please contact Joanna Hendry at Cycling Scotland for further information on these courses – firstname.lastname@example.org